GIR NATIONAL PARK
- The Gir Lion is a majestic animal, averaging 2.75 metres in length
- A rich variety of flora and fauna makes Gujarat home to 40 species of mammals and 425 species of birds- an absolute treat for nature lovers in india.
- Gir forest is one of the oldest protected areas in india.
- The sambar is the largest Indian deer which stands about 150 cm at the shoulder, The largest indian antelope, Nilgai or blue Bull, also resides in Gir.
- A good variety of wildlife can be seen here in a 20 to 30 minute tour of the area in jungle safari in a gypsy
- Gir houses a variety of more than 250 birds and has been declared as an important Bird area by the Indian bird conservation network(IBCN).
- This is a good area for grassland birds like larks and warblers, and the hunting ground of harriers and other Raptors.
- The Kamleshwar Dam are also good sites for birdwatchers. Darter, Painted Stork, Wooly- necked stork can also be seen.
- Gir has about 40 species of reptiles and amphibians. The marsh Crocodile can be seen in large numbers at Kamleshwar.
- The monitor lizard is often seen and there are many species of snake including venomous ones like the indian Cobra.
- The Crocodile hatchery at sason is also interesting. The star Tortoise and freshwater turtles could also be seen in the sanctuary.
- How to reach here: By road- Gir national park is 60 km from junagadh and 360km from ahmedabad, By Rail- One can travel to junagadh from Ahmedabad or Rajkot, By Air- The nearest airport is Rajkot.
Where to stay- The Gir jungle Lodge, Hotel Anil Farmhouse, The lion Safari Camp, The fern Gir forest resort and the amidhra resorts.
For More Details U can visit http://www.girnationalpark.in